Coronavirus (COVID-19): For information and advice, read our pages on Coronavirus including information on affected services
Somerset Libraries iPad Loaning Scheme
Somerset Libraries, Somerset County Council now offers an iPad loaning scheme in specific libraries, aimed specifically at job seekers and/or anyone wanting to develop new skills. The scheme is designed for anyone – including people who may have little or no experience in using IT. The tablets are pre-loaded with links, information and support for anyone in Somerset currently looking for employment, or if you think you may need to be looking soon. These are ‘data-enabled’ iPads which means you don’t even need to have internet access at home to use them. There’s a simple step-by-step ‘How to Use’ video which shows you how to use the iPad and what sort of information you will be able to access, including how to develop an effective CV, tips for successful interviews, how to search for local jobs and a some useful health and wellbeing information and links. Additional free ‘wrap-around’ support is available from the Positive People Programme, including a 24/7 helpline, one-to-one digital support, virtual job clubs and workshops.
How it works
- Anyone who is a member of Somerset Libraries can borrow an iPad FREE OF CHARGE for a period of up to six weeks from Chard, Shepton Mallet, Minehead, Taunton or Bridgwater libraries.
- Becoming a member of Somerset Libraries is free and easy to do – see here for more information. You can join online but in order to borrow an iPad you will need to become a full member which you can do by visiting your local library.
- Borrowers will need to sign an iPad borrower request form and agree to the Terms and Conditions of use.
During the current Lockdown period, please follow our social distancing and hygiene polices – keeping 2 metres distance, wearing face coverings and using hand sanitiser.
The times and locations when you can borrow (or return) a tablet are shown below. If possible please contact the library in advance to check that a device is available and to book a time for visiting the library.
- Bridgwater: Mon – Thurs 09:30-17:00, Fri 09:30-16:00, Sat 09:30-14:00 – email: email@example.com
- Chard (from 15th March) – Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 9:30-16:30, Sat 9:30-12:30 – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minehead: NB: Minehead Library is currently offering limited services from The Old Hospital, Blenheim Rd entrance (TA24 5PY) – Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 9:00-17:30, Sat 9:30-13:00 – email: email@example.com
- Taunton: Mon – Fri 09:30 – 17:30, Sat 09:30-17:00 – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wellington: Mon – Wed & Fri 09:30 – 17:00 Thrs & Sat 09:30 – 13:00 – email: WLNLIB@somerset.gov.uk