The Somerset Digital Skills Talent Academy is an example of how Somerset Libraries is fostering innovation and developing digital and creative skills with young people in Somerset. Local pupils from schools around Taunton are given a valuable insight into the world of ‘creative digital’ with workshops led by local digital businesses and other partner agencies.
The Academy offers 8 three-hour hands-on workshops which give students the opportunity to really ‘get under the skin’ of some digital technology, with information on career opportunities, skills development and the chance to try out cutting-edge tech that is rarely available in schools.
Sessions we have delivered to date include:-
• Film and animation – led by Somerset Film
• 3D Printing and 3D Scanning – led by Somerset Libraries
• Graphic design – led by Charlie & Co
• Augmented Reality – led by Cosmic
• Coding and Robotics – led by UKHO and Code Club SW
• Virtual Reality – led by Somerset Libraries
Some of the feedback we have received from attendees so far:-
- “After attending the session I will definitely look into a job around animation and even media” – Student, Bishop Fox’s School
- “It was good to find out what the day to day job of a graphic designer is” – Student, Castle School
- “The workshop has made me think about becoming a robot designer” – Student, Bishop Fox’s School
- “I now want to find out more about how to develop virtual reality games” – Student, Courtfields School
For more information about the Somerset Digital Skills Talent Academy, contact John Carter – firstname.lastname@example.org